Sunday, November 25, 2007

I'm not worldly!

nIs music worldly? Sounds obvious..."yes". But I wonder...other than the obvious syllabus we learned in "World Music 101" as the elective that required little homework, I don't claim to know much. I think true Zulu-bush African = drums. I think of Mexican and Polish =polka sounding( I know thats a hack assesment). Ireland is sad and folksy, Arabic is melodic and whiny...I will stop before I upset the no one reading.

Modern day music though...I really question. Are there entire other musical cultures? (of course!) Am I THAT naive? Do Bulgarian teen girls listen to their own version of Britney or Ani Difranco? They must. Yet, every movie, even foreign films, have some American musical reference. A pan-out shot shows two hipster Austrians in a record store that has vintage 45's hanging on string from the ceiling. One of those albums is always something like Frank Zappa or The Cars. Clapton had to be a rock and roll classic all over the world right? The Rolling stones!?

Do Italians really only listen to Eros Ramazotti or is that just what American restaurant/store owners think sounds really authentic? I loved him when I was in Denmark. His naughty rolling tongue made me want to throw off my over sized sweatshirt and pull out my scrunchies in 92. The year after that I remember hearing Jamiriquoi and Ace of Base for the first time booming through the Copenhagen radio. Only a year later, both were being played at a school dance at my US boarding school. Looking back, I realize it was born somewhere else.

I guess I just can't picture that somewhere, some group of cool people are listening to entire varieties of music that isn't in any way American? ( how ecocentric). Michael Jackson was big in Saudi. Seriously, do Japanese kids have their own Pearl Jam and The Killers? Is there a whole set of Chinese listening to their own version of Celine Dion of Taipei? Do the Canadians think Celine is a sell out? Why I am still talking about Celine?

So...I ask again..Is music worldly? Or is the question am I? Either in my age, or my life status has forced me to listen to what I am played. In the absolute interest of not letting go of my coolness...I better go get me some Finnish hard rock and Melbourne style feminist folk, or some of that crazy Persian pop.

No comments: