Saturday, February 2, 2008

Lenny Kravitz in SPIN Magazine


How strange I must have looked at the gym. Bouncing on the elliptical machine with iphones in while some chick sang the theatre version of Disney’s The Little Mermaid's "Part of your world' on the View, while reading (and by reading, I mean holding up to my face, not sitting on the convenient ledge of the machine) SPIN Magazine.

I am happy to report that they picked up on a cool little British act called "Sia". I love her music. One of those rare, and weird-check-the-friends-of-music-you-like-on-MySpace find. My favorites so far are "Breathe me". It starts out sounding like Counting Crows’ "Colorblind" and then beams out like a Tori Amos love song. I like it. I also like "Day too soon"; the lyrical strength of her writing is what makes me listen past the borderline too-poppy sound.

"I've been running all my life/I run away/I ran away from good/ Yeah, I’ve been waiting all my life/ not a day too soon..."

Not that my music tastes mean that much. I noticed a reoccurring theme in my music tastes. All you really need to make me FEEL something is a kick drum repetitive beat, acoustic guitar, harmonica solos, good lyrics, and one of those egg-shaped percussion maraca things. (They look ridiculous when played, but hypnotize me like the snake in Jungle book).

Some things I learned reading SPIN:
1.) Lenny has been celibate for 3 years. It makes sense given his history, but Holy Jesus that is impressive, especially given what constant sexual invitations he receives (based on the article alone).

2.) Danish people are getting uber cool in LA and NYC. (Huh?) Good. Maybe people will realize it’s not the place of wooden shoes. More like liberal upbringing, non-judgment, purple hair and smelly cheese, and hey...The little Mermaid...now look at that tie-back.

3.) I should care more about Pete Doherty, but I just don't.

"Lenny Kravitz is a virgin (Again)" by Jonathan Ames. It really is a great article. The writing, the journalist's self-deprecation, to hear what it's like in the VIP of Gold bar...it feels so much like Almost Famous:

Check it: http://www.spin.com/features/magazine/2008/01/0802_lenny_kravitz/

"Yeah. Lenny Kravitz is a cross between Crooklyn and Annie Hall." -Lenny Kravitz

No comments: