Wednesday, December 19, 2007

"Once" out on DVD!

So, I saw this movie twice in theatres, and was a little worried it wouldn't deliver on DVD. You know, maybe I was hormonal both times I saw it, or in the place where movies can over affect me, but no. It was just as lovely.

If you haven't seen it..read at your own risk.

Once stars Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova. Directed by John Carney. A story about a guy who is riffing out the pain of a cheating ex-girlfriend who befriends a Hungarian girl just trying to make ends meet in Dublin, Ireland. I love the simplicity of it all. I love the story and more importantly the modern-day musicality.

She is a persistent musical gypsy. He is an aggressively-nonchalant force of brilliance dealing with misplaced, confused love. Both of them with complicated stories. Yet, somehow, through the love of music, a pure relationship ensues. I loved pretty much every single second of it, but if I had to narrow it down to a couple of my favorite things/scenes:

- His silly guitar string dangling upright off the end of his guitar.
- The "Eh? It worked" face he gives her at the piano during "Falling Slowly".
- The way his furrowed brows seem to sing for themselves.
- The silly vacuum dragging behind the girl.
- The camera work during her solo (even though I don't like the song)
- When the digital sound-mixer-guy double takes after the drum/base line comes through on "Your mind's made up."
- The entire father-son sequence. I cried (scratch that) balled. All three times.

Again, Glen Hansard has the mastery of seeming lonely and desperate but also completely detached from the outcome of any of it. I love how he steals his "Da's" bike and spontaneously shows up at her place to take her for a ride, and she can't go. He says: "It's cool yeah? Another time then?" He is agreeable, but heartbroken all in a two-second frame.

It's friendship, love, heartbreak and collaborative creativity at it's most vulnerable.

Check it out. Its hauntingly good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAEB53-QILA

"Take this sinking boat and point it home/ We've still got time..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap! Did I just ball my eyes out at a modern day musical? Indeed I did! What an amazing movie. I am a little haunted still and completely understand why you would have to see it twice. I guess I am surprised by the fact that I was so moved by a movie with such limited dialogue. It was simply beautiful! Off to watch it again.