Monday, January 21, 2008

27 dresses lead to enjoyment of mutant in NYC hand-held camera excursion.

I love Katherine Heigel. Truly. I think she is great for many reasons. However, I had to stop myself from leaving the theatre during this dreadful epitome of ridiculous dreams and aspirations for a wedding. I am not bitter. I am annoyed. 27 Dresses let me down, way down.

I am the first to run to a seemingly cute romantic comedy. Especially if I like the main actress. This movie however, only had four (small) positives for me.

1.) A great Feist song: "I feel it all"
2.)A good Ray Lamontagne song: "Be here now"
3.) James Marsden has pretty blue eyes.
4.) A funny scene of botched lyric-singing to Elton John's "Benny and the Jets"

The rest...well, it blew molasses. I am serious. Aside from a few great disdainful comments about the commercialized, over-emotionally-charged consumer behavior of brides, the overall story was barely entertaining. I felt compassion for Kathrine's character, but the plot falls apart, and by fall apart I mean it becomes simply implausible.

By the end, I have NO sympathy for the younger sister with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, and feel almost completely detached from all parties involved. The loosely tied together "perfect ending" had too much slap stick humor attempts to be taken seriously. I think I blew out a few eye-socket ligaments from my profuse eye-rolling. Oh, and its a short screenplay, no need to re-use "Merriment". It's funny the first time, clever even. Don't push it....Ugh.

Let's put it this way: I was so disgruntled by its bouncy, soft-filter, cliche-ridden far-fetched story, I needed something a little more realistic....so minutes later, I saw Cloverfield. Awe, Much better.

No comments: