Thursday, March 27, 2008

Foolish Kindness: Make someone feel good today!

"I've learned that people will forget what you said,people will forget what you did,but people will never forget how you made them feel." -Maya Angelou

This has always been one of my favorite quotes. I want to be kind today. You all know I practice yoga daily, but my new thing (over the past six months) has been meditation. Its a simplistically, intrinsically, almost impossible act of self awareness and controlled quiet. I usually spend the last 20 odd minutes of my mindful energy sending out love and kindness or calm and forgiveness or sexual energy (hey, I'm being honest) to the people I love, or have loved, or am trying not to love.

It's a bizarre process. Awkward and scary sometimes to see what pops up on the mind's big-screen when you stop the "chatter" and the noise of all the happenings from yesterday (which can't be changed), and the to-do list for today(which can really throw priorities. Think: importance vs. urgency) and the not knowing of what is to come (which will happen come what may).

I love to be funny, I do. I try really hard most of the time, other times it comes easy. I make jest of all types of things. We all do, its survival. We need to laugh in order to sustain the daily grind, the pressure, the balance, and the constant under toe. I don't have much to give, but I give you this...

Today is a day among many that may seem superficial, or mundane. Maybe you forgot to switch the laundry, or you have five back to back meetings. Perhaps there is no "thing" in the near future to look forward to, perhaps you are lost or living in great love. Whatever you are doing today be grateful if you can. Be kind to everyone you encounter. Try it. Whats the down side?

Be kind because energy flows from us to each other. We are made to feed and reverb from one another. Know that today is a gift and every one that follows holds the possibility of serving you in the deepest possible way...in the simplest way. Be kind to yourself and hold it as a reflective mirror, not to ponder yourself, your place, your motives...but to reflect self-kindness out to the world with the purity of a child without the taught fear and judgment. Make people feel good without the expectation of reciprocation, the same way we once knew when we were good to people because it felt nice.

You may be surprised how much comes back. If nothing else, you will feel better knowing you threw it out there. ( I don't apologize. Im spreading love today. I'm all stocked up on sarcasm...more from that vault tomorrow)

Keep it simple. Be mindful but be youthfully foolish with kindness.

Shimmy, shimmy, plie-pas de poisson, star-jump, giggle, hip-sway powder-dust sprinkle, heal-toe(hands on hips) kick-step, bounce, twirly- pop, kiss-blow.... You have been lulu loved!

No comments: