Tuesday, June 3, 2008

"Giving Up" - Ingrid Michaelson

So, as almost everything in my life, my mood shoots and spirals from dirty and devilish to soft and supple. Post meditation, I always feel more open, peaceful and girly. I heard this song on "Grey's Anatomy" and it didn't immediately stick. Later, I downloaded it, and have listened to it a lot.

It is surprisingly the anti-message of it's title. "Giving Up". It is sadly fearful wrapped in hope and simplistic concerns of love and life and learning. Maybe it applies to where you are right now, maybe it doesn't. In any event, it is sweet song-writing and lovely imagery.

I can't say I am in the space that would find it particularly relative, but it strikes a chord of reality and fantasy meeting in a sun-lit, shadowed, airy room, full of the possibility in now and not worrying what might happen, then.

"What if we stop having a ball? What if the paint chips from the wall?What if there's always cups in the sink? What if I'm not what you think I am?

What if I fall further than you? What if you dream of somebody new? What if I never let you win, and chase you with a rolling pin? Well what if I do?"







"I am giving up on making passes.... and I am giving up on half empty glasses... and I am giving up on greener grasses..... I am giving up."

...."What if" isn't always a good thing. Sometimes, it's about WHAT IS.

No comments: