Sunday, June 15, 2008

A recoginition and revelry in all fathers.


This day is a sullen and celebratory day for many. It is a day we remember the fathers we once had, the ones that are here and well (or not) and the one's we share the voyage of parenthood with. Maybe I am going to get lamb-basted for admitting this little secret.....

Dad's today (at least the one's I know) and the man I married, DO SO MUCH! They do laundry, and make dinners, they change diapers and take little girls and boys to public potties. They wake up at night, and give breaks during the day. They sing goofy songs, and read stories. The men I see, and the man that raises my daughter does more than I could have dreamed of. His patience and adoration need recognition.


Let it be said that I am fully aware of constant silent battle of who does more, and who has it harder...But on a day like this, it is important for me to say. I COULD NOT DO THIS WITHOUT HIM. Judge away. I wouldn't want to, and the value he brings to our lives, and most importantly my daughter's life is something so profoundly beautiful, my words can't articulate it.
He thinks ahead, he worries about her self-esteem, and possible struggles as a woman in society. He tries to maintain his composure when the urge to kiss her and smother her overwhelm him.

He is proud when she shows compassion and mathematical logic. I have no doubt, come what may in life, that this man, my husband, her father... will be an outstanding, unforgettable, irreplaceable and permanent force of stability, security, strength and unwavering love. She, nor I, could ever hope for more.

Look around today. Love and cherish the fathers you have witnessed. Remember the one's we have lost and mourn. Take time to truly give thanks to the men in your life, or your children's life for being there, standing up to the responsibility and holding close the importance of shaping our world's future.

To the Fathers that read this: You too, have given up so much. You too, have compromised freedoms, and hobbies, and simple pleasures, but it is noticed. Your striving daily to be the best you can be is a role worth emulating. Roles and molds have shifted and your flexibility through all of it makes you that much more sacred in a world that is redefining words like "father", "man" and "partner". You are still standing, holding your son's t-ball equipment, a teenager's first driving ticket, or a 2 yr old AND your MAN CARD. I love you for existing, and staying the course in a strange and exciting time of new family unit ideals. THANK YOU. You are amazing.

Most of all...you are loved, appreciated and one day...these little people will turn to you with heavy heart and full eyes to say that they are who they are BECAUSE of you. Be proud now...Be proud then...Be proud.


RIP and Happy Father's day to Tim Russert. One of the greatest father examples we have ever seen. My heart floats out to his family, specifically his son, Luke. What a beautiful life his father had to celebrate. What a legacy of fatherhood he laid before the world. Be proud.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't seem to swallow this huge lump in my throat! I can only say that I miss my father more than ever lately! And this weekend was tremendously difficult on me. It may be 5 years since he passed but it has almost never been this hard (except of course the actual day(s) immediately following).

Yesterday I watched old family movies just so I could hear his voice. I remembered how he used to scare the shit out of me sometimes with his seriousness, make me laugh with his Bill Cosby-like facial,body movements,and sounds. Tease me and my friends, teach me, tickle me, tell a great story, doze off in the middle of one of my stories or a good movie, take tons of pictures and movies that I now cherish, teach me to drive, make a killer omelet, make doughnut runs on the weekends, watch documentaries with me at the library, go for runs, kick a soccer ball, swim, ski and dance with me!

He drove me around Mass and Va. to find a summer internship for me, found me an apt to live in when I decided where I would be that he deemed appropriate and safe, and then bought me a whole new wardrobe for the new job knowing that it wasn't complete without an umbrella for those rainy days I would have to walk to work! Another summer he encouraged me to donate my pay to the school that I worked for cause they needed it far more than I did! It felt great and he taught me that.

I miss him when I crave Indian food cause he knew just what to order, I miss his distinct smell of leather, his breath just after brushing his teeth, the tight curly hairs that he was losing from the top of his head, his unnaturally dry hands for a white collar guy and the way I fit just perfectly under his arm when it was wrapped around me.

Dads are great, and being a daddy's girl is even better and boy do I miss it. I just wish I got the chance to say goodbye and get one last soft kiss combined with a little scratch from his beard.

So fathers be good to your daughters....